2.11.2009

creative interpretation

Although my clients rely on my ability to be creative, I often devote so much to the work that I have nothing left for afterhours. As a designer, you learn early on that the term "originality" is a highly desirable concept that doesn't really exist. Everything comes from somewhere and what we find ourselves producing is really creative interpretation whether we are aware of it or not.

That brings me to Valentine's Day cards and a little "creative interpretation" of my own. I tried to include a link for each original card but I didn't remember where I got one of them. Whether it's sewing, knitting, cardmaking or scrapbooking...don't be afraid to borrow....to soak in the talents of so many can only make us better, right? I've said it before, but Bruce said it first:

Imitate.
Don’t be shy about it. Try to get as close as you can. You'll never get all the way, and the separation might be truly remarkable. We have only to look to Richard Hamilton and his version of Marcel Duchamp’s large glass to see how rich, discredited, and underused imitation is as a technique.



card found here



card found here



card unknown



card found here

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree! I often feel guilty that someone else's work sparks an idea, then I realize that what being inspired means. Thanks for sharing what inspires you and gets your creative juices flowing.

Anonymous said...

I love how you've posted the inspiration with the completed project -- great post!

Anonymous said...

Great cards. Especially love the birdie one!

Unknown said...

heya, france! i love your blog and site. thanks for the valentine ideas and artwork. i still have some of the christmas cards i made in your workshop back in... oh, my... '06, was it? good times :)

bloomers shoppe said...

i LOVE this post. i agree with you 100% and could not have worded it more perfectly. i think it's important to always remind ourselves of this truth. we can get so caught up in trying to "be original" that we miss out on the great ideas we are having! thanks for this excellent post. and i LOVE the cards!!