9.17.2008

hearsay

while having a delightful solitary breakfast this morning at a small Beverly Hills establishment I overheard this conversation:

person A: I just can't agree with Sarah Palin...especially when it comes to the pro life stuff.

person B: She never actually said that. This is what she said....verbatim. (by the way person B was wrong. I heard the speech to which he was referring).

person A: well...whatever...I just think Obama is better.

person B : you don't even know why you think that. The Democrats need you to think that.

person A: She just sounds so uneducated, so coached and she's not the least bit like Hillary. How does being able to see Russia, make you a foreign policy expert.

person B: Once again, you are just regurgitating what all the news stations keep saying. Don't you have any original thoughts?

I could tell person A was crumbling. She just didn't know how to express what she wanted to say, or maybe person B was right and she was just doing what everyone else was doing. For the record, I didn't agree with either party. I am not one to share my politics although I've made no secret of where my support lies. What I found unfortunate was that, in that particular discussion, person A was hopelessly outdone. By a Republican. She had right on her side. He had words. Words always win. Why do we prefer to do as we're told despite what we know is right? I don't know. What I do know is that this is a bipartisan post. Figure out what you stand for and....STAND FOR IT whether you can articulate it or not.

No comments: