5.20.2010

the written word


I have spent the greater part of my life enchanted by the written word. I have made it my life's work to study and practice it though my latter pursuit is feeble at best. I have always wondered how my passion for science got so tangled up in my devotion to literature and I think it has something to do with love. Is there anything better than a finely crafted love letter professing devout adoration? How is it that the sheer beauty of love can leap off the page and head straight for the heart like a dagger? I will say that despite my penchant for historical romance novels I'm not particularly sentimental...I like love to be explained. I have a need to dissect and piece together to explore and prove my theories. Perhaps I am just one of many in a long line of people seeking to understand the inexplicable. I like when love is warmly wrapped in beautiful words and equally beautiful action. Perhaps it is the scientist in me that seeks to understand the folly of love as well as the fullness of it.

My husband and I spend a great deal of time exchanging words...words on paper...in emails, over telephone, and even now, nearly ten years later...my husband the writer and his wife the reader are still very much in love with the written word...as well as each other.

No comments: