1.17.2014

on the needles | the chunky cowl



This cowl is my first completed project of 2014 and therefore worthy of note. I currently have quite a few yarny projects in various states of completion. I thought it would be useful to create a series documenting said projects as a means of motivation (for myself) and sharing (with you). "On the needles" would refer to knitting projects and "on the hook" would be for crochet.

The cowl shown above is essentially the GAPtastic Cowl by Jen Geigley. I came across it by searching "chunky knit cowl pattern" on Google. I was surprised how quickly it worked up. It would probably take a fast knitter no time at all, but I'm kinda slow so it took me about two days of intermittent knitting. I love the seed stitch...it looks like something quite fancy, but it really is just a bunch of knits and purls.

Here are the details

pattern: the gaptastic cowl

yarn: Lion Brand Chunky Wool-Ease in Fisherman

needles: US 15 (10mm) 24" circular needles

changes: I pretty much stuck to the pattern except I cast on 105 stitches rather than 131. I just wanted mine a tad shorter and a bit more fitted when looped. I also used larger needles than the pattern called for because that's what I had.

final thoughts: I want to make 100 of these. It's fast, pretty, comfy and makes me feel like a super-accomplished knitter.

1 comment:

Kelly said...

i love the idea of a quick project as i am also very slow! i have been working on a crochet scarf/shawl for about two years now :(
maybe if i abandon it for a quick project i can return to it with vigour! love your cowl.