2.27.2008

it's here...

1. Wedding jewellery, 2. ntage crochet flutter dress (detail), 3. [ le scarpe della sposa ], 4. Modern Wedding Centerpiece, 5. Wedding Dress Inspired Cake, 6. ring, 7. love is in the air, 8. Back of Invitation, 9. Table settings, 10. signature cupcakes, 11. ganesh puja, 12. floating flowers, 13. diamondLG, 14. a little bit of paper, a little bit of wood, 15. 1 of 100, 16. pink peonies bouquet

...wedding season that is. It is now upon us…well, me, and it’s right on schedule. You see, as a graphic designer the bulk of my work involves the standard freelance fare…brochures, brand identity, direct mail type pieces and while I am grateful to those who trust me with their business material…I often spend long uninterrupted hours on the computer longing for something a bit more…creative? Even as I write that…I am thinking that all of my work is creative to a degree, but really I consider it creative problem solving. Trying my best through the combination of words and images to effectively and succinctly communicate a strong message. That is what I do, what I am paid for, what I love. But sometimes…I want something more…colorful.

For me, more arrives in the form of wedding season. The time of year when I revel in all the color, paper and ribbon that my little heart desires. Why? Because designing lovely correspondence gives me the opportunity to be an itty bitty part of something grand. To herald the coming of something so special it requires the prettiest piece of stationery. Whether it’s a wedding, a baby, a birthday, a bar mitzvah…or just because you only live once why not have a party...designing an invitation makes me giddy. And while I adore all forms of invitations I have a soft spot for the happy couple. The folks that have allowed love to rule. The two eager lovers who have come to me trustingly and asked that I create something that reflects who they are. How do you do that? How do you design something so personal for people you don’t know? My response…I GET to know. Maybe that’s why this time of year makes me so happy because at the end of the process, I always end up with a few new friends.

So…that being said, over the next few months I am going to do a something a little different on this blog. Starting next Wednesday and then continuing each Wednesday thereafter I will dedicate that blog post to something weddingy. Perhaps a short video tutorial, a cool blog I discovered, a hot new color combination or some other tip picked up from the hundreds of brides and event planners I've had the pleasure of working with during my years at PaperSource. I will find something that can make your super special day just a bit closer to perfect.

Stay tuned…

2 comments:

mborrero said...

first time I see your blog. LOve it!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see what you have in store for us!