9.09.2014

simple stamping I


Confession: I am not a fancy stamper.

Even though I've taught many many technique based stamping workshops, I don't actually use most of those techniques. I rarely color things in, I don't use copics, distress ink or resist techniques, I hardly ever mask anything off, I don't use mists or alcohol inks, and I don't use very many embellishments. This is not to say that I don't use any techniques...but the ones I love are super simple.


So in celebration of "Stamptember" here are some of my favorite basic techniques .

Favorite #1: the repeat


I love doing this with sentiment or graphic stamps...simply line them up straight, diagonal or create an offset pattern and repeat over and over again in a neutral color and then somewhere...the end, the middle, wherever...stamp one in a bright pop of color. A single stamp can make a great background. You can cover the entire card or cover a smallish piece of paper and punch or diecut a shape.

Favorite #2: fussy cutting



Okay, yeah, I know, this is not for everybody. These days people have lots of options for cutting besides using your own two hands and a pair of scissors. But I still like it and I still do it despite owning just about every cutting contraption known to man...I use those too by the way.  I like giving my cut images a bit of dimension by using pop dots or some sort of foam adhesive. I love that a lot of stamp sets now come with matching dies.

Favorite #3: embossing


What stamper doesn't love embossing? Even though it's kinda bordering on fancy, I consider embossing a pretty basic technique and one of the best ways to get a lot out of your stamps. I love that I can make a pretty ho hum card a little glittery or glossy in a matter of seconds.

Favorite #4: using paint or watercolor



I like prepping a bunch of cards ahead of time with a simple wash of color or bold stripes or circles
then I can grab one at any time and add a sentiment.

Favorite #5: limits

I don't know that I would call this a technique, but it might as well be. If you only have a few sets then perhaps limits aren't really your concern and I don't always do this, but sometimes having all my stamps at my disposal to make one or two cards is a bit overwhelming. So, I grab a few sets or a handful of favorites and work from those.

In case you're interested here's what I used:

color ink, embossing ink
acrylic block
stamp set 1, stamp set 2, stamp set 3
paper
gold embossing powder/ aqua embossing powder
hibiscus acrylic paint

Part two of this simple series will be how I use stamps on things other than cards:)

No comments: